From the Too Hot Tamales, Mary Sue Miliken and Susan Feniger, this recipe for Grilled Skirt Steak with Corn relish is typical of the dynamic cooking duo, using southwestern flavours, easy prep techniques and simple ingredients to create dishes that taste fabulous and is very kind on the budget.
This one is an especially healthful version of the fajita, and is a good one to serve during get-togethers. Give this one a go at one of yours this holiday season.
Grilled Skirt Steak
* 3/4 cup cumin seeds
* 6 jalapeño chiles, stemmed, cut in half and seeded
* 4 garlic cloves, peeled
* 2 Tbsps. cracked black pepper
* 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
* 3 bunches cilantro, stems and leaves
* 1 1/2 cups of olive oil
* 2 tsp. salt
* 3 pounds skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 6 serving pieces
* Avocado Corn Relish, see recipe
* warm flour tortillas for serving
* Lightly toast cumin seeds in a dry medium skillet for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender. Add jalapeños, garlic, black pepper, salt and lime and puree until the cumin seeds are finely ground. Then add cilantro, olive oil and salt and puree until smooth.
* Cut steak into 6 servings. Generously brush with marinade and roll into cylinder. Arrange steaks in shallow pan and pour the remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate 24 to 48 hours before cooking. Cook steaks 3-4 minutes per side.
Avocado Corn Relish
* 3/4 cup olive oil
* 4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
* 1 tsp. salt
* 3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
* 2 California avocados, peeled and seeded
* 1 large red bell pepper, cored and seeded
* 4 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
* 4 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
* 1/2 cup red wine
Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté corn with salt and pepper, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
Cut avocados, bell pepper and roasted poblanos into 1/4-inch dices. Add to corn along with scallions, red wine vinegar and remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Mix well and let sit 20 to 30 minutes to blend the flavors.
Yields 6 Servings
Comments Off on Grilled Steak and Avocado Corn Relish